I have a very strict social media policy that applies to all my social media accounts, as well as my blog.
I have no problems muting and/or blocking and/or reporting you if:
- You constantly message me to follow you.
- You send me messages to promote or try a product, and you do it over Instagram DMs, Facebook DMs, Twitter DMs or LinkedIn messaging. Because of my work as a journalist, I am not in a position to promote things unless doing so on behalf of my radio station. If you are unsure whether this excludes your product, please do get in touch with me and we’ll try and sort it out. 🙂 )
- You send me direct messages about things I have posted taken completely out of context.
- You are disrespectful to interact with — whether that’s interacting with me, or I see you’re being disrespectful to someone else.
- You send me spam or anything that looks like a potential virus.
- You are a bot account.
- You send messages that make zero attempt to make normal conversation (because this usually means you’re a bot account).
I do not remove blocks — even if you request to be removed — so just do the right thing and treat people with respect on social media. 🙂